Monday, May 5, 2014

It's Going Down...I'm Yelling Tinder



Perhaps I am behind the times, or maybe more disconnected then I previously thought, but I only just heard of “Tinder.” For those of you who may be like me and living in a hole, Tinder is a new social discovery/dating/hook-up app that uses your Facebook profile picture and location to suggest other people to you based on your location. You look at this stranger’s picture, decide whether or not you find them physically attractive, then you can like or dislike them. You can zoom-in your location so closely as to be suggested to others within the same bar. So, instead of mingling with people at the bar, you pick out the people around you by checking out your phone to see who is attractive.

“It’s like real life, but better,” claims Tinder advertising. Now you don’t have to lift up your head and look around. Instead, you can dive into your phone to find people you’d like to meet. You could literally “like” the person sitting next to you at the bar instead of turning to talk to them. Why is this “better?” Does the expressed shallowness of tinder relieve some of the pressure of meeting new people? This app functions with the understanding that the relationships spawned are based solely on physical appearance and the opportunity to hook-up. While these types of interactions occur in everyday life, you wouldn’t approach another individual on the street and say, “Oh, I like the way your face looks, let’s hook-up,” (or maybe you would). This app is yet another example of a shift between our physical “real” world into the internet world, and how social media and apps like tinder make us more dysfunctional in the physical world. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your views. All of my friends have Tinder, so of course they urged me to try it out. After a while my swiping left and right just felt...so unsociable and judgmental. I decided to delete it due to that fact. Desensitization is also a factor with typing instead of saying. I'm sorry, but since when is walking up to someone and saying hi such a bad thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you say you wouldn't walk up to a stranger and say "Oh, I like the way your face looks, let's hook-up." SO true. It is interesting how these two worlds most certainly exist and the debate of which is more real or better. But I think you bring up a good point - it is more interesting to think about how we behave so differently in each world. We would never behave the way we behave on social media in real life, and we try our hardest to be someone different than we are in real life on social media.

    I agree with you... Tinder is a weird, weird, superficial thing.

    ReplyDelete

Need to add an image? Use this code: < b > [ img ] IMAGE-URL-HERE [ /img ] < /b > (make sure you have no spaces anywhere in the code when you use it)