Thursday, May 8, 2014

Lucid Dreaming - Final Project

I chose to do lucid dreaming as my final project. I went on to talk about what lucid dreaming is and the relation to reality. The five types of dreams allow distinction between them. Benefits to lucid dream include a chance to look into their subconscious, as well as interaction with the conscious. A better sense of self-awareness is also a benefit. In addition to this, the aspect of how to lucid dream is highlighted. These ways include: motivation, questioning of reality, dream recall, dreamsigns, mnemonic induction of lucid dreams, and napping.

I also talked about out-of-body experiences (OBEs) which are just as they describe. One feels as if they leave their physical body and enter a “second body.” This is really our mind making up a mental model of the world. No danger is associated with lucid dreaming, although many people are afraid of this. To conclude, the views on Descartes and Baudrillard are highlighted.


Here’s the link to my video…thanks for watching!

2 comments:

  1. I really like this topic for your project. I didn't really know anything about lucid dreaming before I watched your video and now that I have some knowledge, there's a lot of theory that can be used to discuss dreams and lucid dreaming.

    Just an FYI... unfortunately your video cuts off while you're talking about Baudrillard. It seems like there was more you were going to discuss but the video stopped short. I like how you brought Baudrillard's 2nd order of simulacra into the analysis of lucid dreaming. I think he would say that the dreamer, in this state, would be able to tell the difference between the real world and the dream even though they are really close. This is in contrast to a normal dream or a false awakening in which the dreamer cannot tell and believes in the reality of the dream (the 3rd order of simulacra).

    Descartes and Bruner would probably have some interesting things to say about dreams as well. Descartes would be interested in regular dreams and our acceptance of reality in them because they seem so real at the time (“If I think it’s real then it is”). Bruner would be interested in how the narrative functions in the dream world compared to the real world. Is the structure the same in both? He would see those dreamsigns you talked about as the details that make the narrative seem false even if we’ve believed it thus far.

    This is some pretty cool stuff you looked at, here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this project idea to be interesting because all of my dreams are actually lucid dreams. Like I know that my usual characters like Hell Boy, isn't real in our lives and so I always that I am dreaming. Often I also remember going to sleep, so that helps, too.

    Your info to Lucid Dreams were very interesting and I'm sure you did great on the paper :)

    ReplyDelete

Need to add an image? Use this code: < b > [ img ] IMAGE-URL-HERE [ /img ] < /b > (make sure you have no spaces anywhere in the code when you use it)